Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Creating a Flickr Streaming Slideshow - Lauren Skipper






I love taking pictures and I love being able to share them. I was introduced to the world of blogging a year ago by dayle and Maria So, The Skipper Blog was born! I loved the slideshow idea and I quickly became addicted to Slide.com and then Photostory and Moviemaker. I share this little side story with you because I want you to know that it has taken some time to become familiar with blogging and playing around with some of the "toys" that are available to bloggers. The idea for creating a streaming slideshow came from our #1 Geek(and I use that term lovingly) Melanie. I wanted to something different for my blog and so the she led me to flickr.



Creating a flickr blog widget is very easy once you know how to do it. The first step is actually uploading your pictures to flickr. You will need to sign up for an account, which is free. Why flickr? I found that flickr has the most options when it comes to using pictures for your blogs in creative ways. It is very easy to transfer the pictures to other applications such as Slide.com and even Movie Maker.



When you upload pictures to flickr it gives you options on tagging and creating "sets" when you save your pictures. This is important because you will choose which pictures actually feed into your photostream. I have three blogs, therefore I needed three seperate streams. When you click on the link above that allows you to createyour widget it will take you through an easy to follow step by step process.



There are so many fun flickr applications you can use with your students. Big Huge Labs has some creative things that you can easily do with your pictures from flickr. Applications such as jigsaw puzzles, magazine covers, mosaics, and motivational posters. The possibilities are endless!


No comments: